Custom Search Engine - Scans Selected News Sites


Sunday, 18 July 2010

From Today's Papers - 18 Jul 2010

‘Drunk’ CRPF jawan kills 6 colleagues, shot dead 
Ranchi, July 17 A "drunk" CRPF jawan allegedly opened fire from his AK-47 rifle killing six of his colleagues, including an officer, who had reprimanded him for consuming alcohol on duty minutes before the shooting spree in Saraikela district of Jharkhand.  The alleged shooter was gunned down after a four-hour drama by other CRPF personnel last night, preventing further casualties.  Shocked by the incident, CRPF headquarters in New Delhi has rushed Additional Director General (Headquarters) J C Dabas to the spot to find the facts about the fratricidal incident along with other senior officials posted in the state overseeing anti-Naxal operations.  Constable Harpinder Singh of 196 battalion of the CRPF, who was on sentry duty at a camp in Kuchai village of Saraikela district, started firing indiscriminately at his colleagues around 10 pm, a CRPF spokesperson said.  Six of his colleagues, including Assistant Commandant Bikau Singh, were killed in the firing.  According to sources in the force, an altercation broke out between Harpinder Singh and other CRPF men over the quantity of food being wasted in the company mess. Harpinder, who was the mess in charge, started arguing.  Assistant Commandant Bikau Singh then called these men into his tent to solve the issue. Bikau found Harpinder to be “drunk” and ordered a medical test. This enraged Harpinder, the sources said, adding that he picked up his AK-47 rifle and shot dead five personnel, including the officer.  The men at the camp tried for three hours to persuade Harpinder to drop the gun and surrender but he did not pay heed to them and also killed a sentry atop a watchtower, the sources said.  Then the other jawans fired at him to disarm him and stop further killings.  As Singh continued to fire, CRPF personnel at the camp shot him dead around 2 am, the sources said.  The dead include Head Constables M C Patil and I R Khairnar from Maharashtra, Head Constables P T Rao of Andhra Pradesh, Jatav Bhav Singh from Gujarat and constable Vijay Kumar from Uttar Pradesh.

Kayani played the spoilsport
Pak Army chief’s intervention during the talks altered Qureshi’s tone and tenor 
Ashok Tuteja Tribune News Service  New Delhi, July 17 Pakistan Army Chief Ashfaq Pervez Kayani is widely believed to have played a spoilsport in the peace talks between India and Pakistan in Islamabad on Thursday.  Kayani, seen as the real power centre in Pakistan, called on Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gilani in quick succession just before External Affairs Minister SM Krishna was scheduled to meet the two Pakistani leaders.  The script of the dialogue between Krishna and his Pakistani counterpart Shah Mehmud Qureshi went horribly wrong after that.  The two sides appeared quite relaxed and happy when they broke for lunch around 1300 hrs (Pakistan Standard Time) after the first round of talks. After all, the two sides had painstakingly worked out the agreements during Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao’s visit to Islamabad last month. The agreements were expected to be announced by the foreign ministers. A draft joint statement was also ready in which the two sides had proposed to announce the upcoming meetings between top officials like culture and commerce secretaries, exchange of fishermen and prisoners and other CBMs like LoC trade. The formulation on certain subjects was to be okayed by the two ministers.  The meeting after the lunch also went off reasonably well. But then Kayani came into the picture and reportedly told the civilian leadership that it should not budge an inch on the Kashmir issue and seek a time frame from India for resolving the issue.  The tone and tenor of Qureshi changed at the third and final rounds of the marathon talks. He is said to have insisted on the time frame for settlement of various issues while not being prepared to give the same for the trial of seven LeT operatives being tried in Pakistan courts for their involvement in the Mumbai attacks.  Krishna asked him why the trial could not be speeded up and why the Pakistan Government could not take action against JUD chief Hafiz Saeed, whose involvement in the Mumbai attacks had been established beyond doubt in the dossiers given by India. To this, Qureshi said the judiciary in Pakistan was independent and the government could not do much in the matter.  Meanwhile, when asked why India was reluctant to deal with the Pakistan Army since it happened to be the real power centre in the neighbouring country, official sources said in a sarcastic tone:: “They call themselves a democracy and we have to believe them…we can’t deal with Generals.”  “We know where the power rests in Pakistan but we have to deal with the civilian leadership as long as it is there,” they added. Krishna and Qureshi are now expected to come face to face in another three days when they will attend a conference in Kabul on July 20. The event will review reconciliation moves between the Hamid Karzai regime and the Taliban. It is to be seen if they will hold bilateral talks after their disastrous meeting in Islamabad.

CRPF constable fires on colleagues, kills six in Jharkhand
Constable Harpinder Singh was shot dead later by other personnel, however the reason for committing this heinous act is still unclear. CJ: Shreyas Menon   Sat, Jul 17, 2010 14:29:40 IST
 A DRUNK Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) constable in an inebriated condition shot down six of his colleagues causing one of the worst case of fratricide on duty. Among the six killed, one was identified as assistant commandant Bishau Singh in the security camp of Jharkhand's Saraikela district late Friday night.   Constable Harpinder Singh was later shot dead by the other security guards though the reason for committing this heinous act is still unclear. The accused started firing indiscriminately from his automatic rifle at around 10:30 PM and was later killed at 2:00 AM. One sub inspector from the police force was also injured in the ordeal and was rushed to the hospital.   As per the police, the 196 Battalion of the CRPF was stationed in the Kuchai block of Saraikela which is one of the worst Maoist hit areas in Jharkhand. The reason why the accused opened fire remains a mystery for the police and a First Information Report (FIR) has been filed. A committee was set up for probing into the shoot out.

India to develop naval version of LCA
With the launch of Light Combat Aircraft, India will achieve one more significant milestone. It is expected that by 2015, the fighter aircraft will commissioned in the home made aircraft carrier, built in Cochin Shipyard.
                   IN THE global arms race, India is about to achieve one more significant milestone, attaining the ability to indigenously build the naval version of the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA). It is expected that by 2015, the fighter aircraft will be commissioned on the home made aircraft carrier, built in Cochin Shipyard. It is a stupendous achievement for India’s efforts to indigenously build fighter jet fleet to be deployed in its Navy aircraft carriers.  This ambitious project was started in the year 2003, and a whopping Rs.1, 714 crore rupees was earmarked for the programme. The Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) which is handling the LCA project is hopeful to conduct the test flight of NP1, the first variant of the aircraft, by October of 2010. The navy is expecting to get this homebuilt fighter aircraft commissioned by 2014, when the indigenous aircraft carrier will also be ready to launch in Cochin. It is worth mentioning that the Indian navy is currently using Sea Harriers on its naval aircraft carrier INS Viraat. In the Russian built Admiral Gorshkov, which is going to be inducted in Indian navy with the name INS VIkramaditya, will operate Mig-29K fighter jets.  Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) chairman, Ashok Nayak said that the completion of the task took longer time than the planned period due to the enormous technical challenges that the technical staff had to face in the process of research and development.
UN probes Army Major’s sexual misconduct  Express News Service First Published : 16 Jul 2010 03:03:01 AM IST Last Updated : 16 Jul 2010 11:10:06 AM IST  NEW DELHI: The UN mission in Congo is probing sexual exploitation charges against an Indian Army Major who was found in the company of sex workers earlier this month in his hotel. The UN has also informed Army Chief General V K Singh and the adjutant general’s branch in the headquarter about the probe against major R S Ghumman, part of the 4300 strong Indian contingent in Congo.  Ghumman is an officer of 2 Jammu and Kashmir Rifles and was seen leaving a pub in North Kivu province on July 6 along with a military observer from Tunisia. The matter came to the notice of UN’s office of internal oversight services and an action was initiated against the officers.  The Ministry of Defence here confirmed that the Major was under scanner and the Army headquarter was aware of incident. The Army would initiate its disciplinary proceedings against the officer as it has strict rules for those posted at the UN missions.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Mail your comments, suggestions and ideas to me

Template created by Rohit Agarwal