Custom Search Engine - Scans Selected News Sites


Wednesday, 12 August 2015

From Today's Papers - 12 Aug 2015

NIA chief to question Pak militant Naved
Amir Karim Tantray

Tribune News Service

Jammu, August 11
A special court today granted the National Investigation Agency (NIA) and the J-K police 14-day remand of Lashkar-e-Taiba militant Muhammad Naved, alias Qasim alias Usman.

NIA Director General Sharad Kumar will be visit Jammu on Wednesday to interrogate the captured militant. Kumar’s visit will decide whether Naved needs to be taken to New Delhi for further investigation or not. The Pakistani militant was brought to Jammu in a commercial flight yesterday afternoon and was produced in the NIA special court today. Sources said to keep Naved’s identity secret in the flight, he was dressed up in a police uniform.

After landing in Jammu, Naved was taken away from the landing area and was not brought out through the arrival lounge of the Jammu airport, sources said.

Both the NIA and the state police are jointly investigating the case.

“During the investigation, it has been found that after crossing the Line of Control (LoC) in the Gulmarg area, Naved got separated from slain militant Muhammad Noman and only met him when their handler Abu Qasim boarded them in a truck,” said a source. JuD chief Hafiz Sayeed’s son Talha Sayeed is supposed to be Naved’s handler.

The LeT militant had told his investigators that he hailed from the Ghulam Mustafabad area of Faisalabad in Pakistan. He also informed investigators that after failing in his studies, he had joined a Tablighi Jamat where he met a Jamat-ud-Dawa member who recruited him in LeT. He had gone through two training courses of LeT, Daur-e-Aam and Daur-e-Khaas”.

On August 5, two LeT militants Naved and Noman ambushed a Border Security Force (BSF) vehicle at Narsu nullah on the Jammu-Srinagar National Highway, 17 km from Udhampur, killing two BSF men and injuring 11 others. While Noman was killed in retaliatory fire, Naved was captured by locals.

Naved and a few other militants had spent around 40 days till Eid in the Khrew area of Pulwama district. Thereafter, he was taken to carry out attack on the highway. He had also travelled across Pulwama and Kulgam districts of Kashmir and met over-ground workers of LeT who gave him the requisite information about places.

A few days ago, the NIA and the police had detained a few persons suspected of providing shelter and money to militants. So far, 11 suspects have been questioned and the police are looking for an absconding businessman who allegedly provided money to the militants.
Two Lashkar militants killed in Pulwama
Suhail A Shah

Anantnag, August 11
Two local Lashkar-e-Toiba militants were killed in the gunfight, that lasted around 18 hours, in Pulwama district.

A member of the Special Operations Group (SOG) was injured during the encounter. Clashes between locals and security forces erupted in the area following the killing of militants.

The bodies of the slain militants were recovered by the police. They were identified as Showket Ahmad Lone of Lelhar village and Gulzar Ahmad Bhat of Talangam village in Pulwama.

The police said the militants were intercepted in a paddy field near Rakh-e-Lajurah village of Ratnipora on Monday evening.

The operation was carried out by the SOG wing of the police, the 55 Rashtriya Rifles of the Army and the 182 and 183 Battalions of the CRPF.

“The militants were holed in in a paddy field between Rakh-e-Lajurah and Naru villages. They had exchange of fire with security force personnel surrounding them,” said a senior police official.

The exchange of gunfire started around 8:30 pm on Monday evening and was suspended around 11 pm, said sources. There was a halt on fire from both sides for the night, the sources said.

Gunfire restarted in the area around 6 am on Tuesday and continued for most part of the day. “The encounter ended around 2:30 pm today with killing of both militants,” the police official said.

The sources said security forces burnt the standing crop in the paddy field to flush out the militants. The police recovered two AK-47 rifles from the encounter site.

The police said Showket was an active Lashkar member for the last more than a year and Gulzar had joined the outfit in December last year.

Gulzar (36) was one of the oldest militants in south Kashmir and was married. He is survived by three children.

Security agencies had upped the ante against Lashkar-e-Toiba following inputs received from the Pakistani militant captured after the Udhampur attack last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Mail your comments, suggestions and ideas to me

Template created by Rohit Agarwal