Custom Search Engine - Scans Selected News Sites

Loading

Sunday, 5 June 2016

From Today's Papers - 05 Jun 2016



















http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/nation/south-china-sea-row-may-harm-all-india/247025.html
South China Sea row may harm all: India
Half of country’s trade done through these waters, says Parrikar
Tribune News Service

New Delhi, June 4
Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar today expressed concern at ongoing territorial dispute in the South China Sea and sought its peaceful resolution lest any tensions harm economic progress.

Speaking at the Shangri-La Dialogue in Singapore, Parrikar made it clear that more than half of India’s trade passes through these waters and it has good relations with all countries.

China claims the South China Sea in entirety and is locked in a dispute at the UN with Brunei, Taiwan, Malaysia, the Philippines, and Vietnam. The US, Japan and India oppose the claims while China tells the three ‘external powers’ to remain out of the regional dispute.

“While we do not take a position on territorial disputes, which should be resolved peacefully without the threat or use of force, we firmly uphold freedom of navigation and overflight in accordance with international law, in particular the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea,” Parrikar said.

He had a word of caution on the dispute spiralling out of control. He said all countries in the region needed to recognise that our shared prosperity and the enviable rates of growth that we enjoyed over the past decades would be put at risk by aggressive behaviour or actions by any one of us. All of us will suffer, irrespective of whether we are big or small states. We need to work towards actions to lower the temperature, and prioritise developmental and growth considerations above all else.

At the heart of dispute are over-lapping claims in the hydrocarbon-rich South China Sea. Last month, China warned that it would not accept a UN-mandated arbitration and demarcation of the exclusive economic zone (EEZ) in the sea.

The US Energy Administration estimates that 11 billion barrels (bbl) of oil reserves and 190 trillion cubic feet (Tcf) of natural gas reserves lie buried under the South China Sea-bed.

The US Geological Survey (USGS) in 2010 did a “world petroleum resources assessment” and arrived at as-yet undiscovered estimates of an additional 5-to-22 billion barrels of oil and between 70-to-290 Tcf of gas to be under the South China Sea. India has interest in two oil blocks off the coast off Vietnam.
Tribune News Service

New Delhi, June 4
Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar today expressed concern at ongoing territorial dispute in the South China Sea and sought its peaceful resolution lest any tensions harm economic progress.

Speaking at the Shangri-La Dialogue in Singapore, Parrikar made it clear that more than half of India’s trade passes through these waters and it has good relations with all countries.

China claims the South China Sea in entirety and is locked in a dispute at the UN with Brunei, Taiwan, Malaysia, the Philippines, and Vietnam. The US, Japan and India oppose the claims while China tells the three ‘external powers’ to remain out of the regional dispute.

“While we do not take a position on territorial disputes, which should be resolved peacefully without the threat or use of force, we firmly uphold freedom of navigation and overflight in accordance with international law, in particular the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea,” Parrikar said.

He had a word of caution on the dispute spiralling out of control. He said all countries in the region needed to recognise that our shared prosperity and the enviable rates of growth that we enjoyed over the past decades would be put at risk by aggressive behaviour or actions by any one of us. All of us will suffer, irrespective of whether we are big or small states. We need to work towards actions to lower the temperature, and prioritise developmental and growth considerations above all else.

At the heart of dispute are over-lapping claims in the hydrocarbon-rich South China Sea. Last month, China warned that it would not accept a UN-mandated arbitration and demarcation of the exclusive economic zone (EEZ) in the sea.

The US Energy Administration estimates that 11 billion barrels (bbl) of oil reserves and 190 trillion cubic feet (Tcf) of natural gas reserves lie buried under the South China Sea-bed.

The US Geological Survey (USGS) in 2010 did a “world petroleum resources assessment” and arrived at as-yet undiscovered estimates of an additional 5-to-22 billion barrels of oil and between 70-to-290 Tcf of gas to be under the South China Sea. India has interest in two oil blocks off the coast off Vietnam.




http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/nation/tribunal-upholds-sepoy-s-dismissal-over-beard/247028.html
Tribunal upholds sepoy’s dismissal over beard
Kochi, June 4
The Army’s decision to dismiss a sepoy who refused to remove his beard on religious grounds has been upheld by the Kochi Bench of the Armed Forces Tribunal.

An application had been filed before the Tribunal by Maktumhusen challenging the order of his discharge from military service for refusing to remove his beard.

Maktumhusen had joined as sepoy in Army Medical Corps in April 2001 and was transferred to 371 Field Hospital in 2010.

On his request, the Commanding Officer had granted him permission to grow beard on religious grounds.

He was given directions to apply for fresh ID card imposing conditions that he had to give an undertaking in writing to keep the beard for remainder period of his service. However, the permission was withdrawn later. — PTI




http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/world/pak-denies-consular-access-to-spy-jadhav/247030.html
Pak denies consular access to ‘spy’ Jadhav
Islamabad, June 4
Pakistan has denied consular access to Kulbhushan Jadhav arrested allegedly for spying and conducting subversive activities in Balochistan province and Karachi city of Pakistan.

“After due consideration, it has been decided not to grant consular access to Jadhav,” Dawn online on Saturday quoted a top security source as saying. The reason behind the decision was cited as Jadhav’s involvement in “subversive activities” in Pakistan, the source said.

Pakistani forces had arrested Jadhav from Balochistan province in March. It was said that the retired navy officer was “a serving officer in the Indian Navy and deputed to Research and Analysis Wing ”.

The External Affairs Ministry said Jadhav worked in the Indian Navy and Gautam Bambawale, Indian High Commissioner in Islamabad, sought consular access to him. “The said individual has no link with the government since his premature retirement from Indian Navy. We have sought consular access to him,” MEA spokesman Vikas Swarup said. — IANS




http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/jammu-kashmir/militants-kill-2-cops-in-anantnag/246841.html
Militants kill 2 cops in Anantnag
Suhail A Shah_& Majid Jahangir

Tribune reporters

Anantnag/Srinagar, June 4
In a second deadly attack in less than 24 hours in Anantnag district, militants killed two policemen, including an officer.

The militant attacks in south Kashmir comes at a time when the authorities are gearing up for conducting bypolls in the Anantnag constituency on June 22 where Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti is in fray. The bypolls in Anantnag were necessitated by the death of former Chief Minister Mufti Mohammad Sayeed.

Today’s attack took place at about 10.45 am just outside the General Bus Stand of Anantnag town, along Khannabal Pahalgam road, some 48 km from Srinagar.

“The policemen, posted at the police post inside the General Bus Stand, were out on the road managing traffic when militants struck,” a police official said. “The militants fired indiscriminately injuring the two policemen, who succumbed to their injuries while being taken to the hospital.”

The slain policemen were identified as ASI Bashir Ahmad Ahangar of the Aishmuqam area in Anantnag and constable Reyaz Ahmad of the Shangus area in the district. The constable was armed at the time of the attack, sources said.

Soon after the attack in Anantnag the whole vicinity was cordoned off and searches were conducted to nab the militants, who, however, had fled by the time the area was sealed.

No militant group has so far owned the responsibility for the attack. “In all probabilities, the attack has been carried out by the Lashkar. We are trying to zero in on them,” said Inspector General (Operations), CRPF, Nalin Prabhat.

The militants soon after carrying out the attack were caught on camera by an unknown photographer.

The purported picture taken some 200 metres away from the spot of the attack shows two armed men, one of them in a blue shirt and another wearing a black T-shirt. Both are seen carrying big bags, which is akin to the fidayeen militants’ attack at Pampore town on the Srinagar-Jammu highway this year where militants attacked a CRPF convoy and later took shelter in the Entrepreneurship Development Institute.

The today’s attack has sent the security agencies in a tizzy and speculation is being made on whether militants were attempting a similar attack.

Deputy Inspector General of Police, south Kashmir range, Nitish Kumar, said ever angle was being probed. Asked if it was a probable fidayeen attack, Nitish Kumar said, “That also is being taken into consideration. Hopefully we will reach a conclusion soon.”

This was second attack in less than 24 hours in the district. Three BSF jawans were killed and seven others were injured when militants ambushed their convoy at Goriwan in Bijbehara, less than 8 km from today’s attack.

Director General of Police K Rajindra Kumar rushed to Anantnag and reviewed the security situation in the backdrop of the two back-to-back attacks.

Director General, BSF, KK Sharma, along with Additional DG, BSF, Arun Kumar, also arrived in Srinagar today and held a series of meetings. After the attack on BSF convoy, Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh instructed the DG, BSF, to rush to the spot to review the situation.

Meanwhile, a wreath-laying ceremony was held at the District Police Lines in Anantnag and the bodies of the slain policemen were taken to their respective villages and handed over to the families for burial.

In Aishmuqaam, hundreds of villagers attended the funeral of the slain ASI and hailed him as a pious, religious man who never harmed anybody.




http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/jammu-kashmir/possibility-of-attack-on-amarnath-yatra-bsf/246851.html
Possibility of attack on Amarnath yatra: BSF
Tribune News Service

Srinagar, June 4
Director General of the Border Security Force (BSF) KK Sharma today said there were intelligence inputs about the possibility of a militant attack on the upcoming Amarnarh yatra.

“There are inputs about the possibility of attacks on the Amarnath yatra,”

TheBSF DG told reporters in Srinagar after laying a wreath to honour the three BSF jawans killed in a militant attack in the Bijbehara area of south Kashmir’s Anantnag district on Friday.

“We are ready for the task as we have made full arrangements as in the past. I want to assure you that the yatra will be incident-free,” said the BSF Director General.




http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/industry/tata-motors-indian-army-join-hands-for-skill-development-of-kashmir-youth/52586460
Tata Motors, Indian Army join hands for skill development of Kashmir youth
The first thirteen-week certified training course has been scheduled at the Tata Motors facility at Ropar, Punjab.
 UDHAMPUR: The Indian Army, under its welfare and development initiative, Operation Sadbhavna has tied up with Tata Motors for training of Kashmir youth as Automobile Service Technicians.

The first thirteen-week certified training course has been scheduled at the Tata Motors facility at Ropar, Punjab.

29 youngsters from Kashmir have been selected for this course. The flag off ceremony for the course held at Udhampur on May 3 and was presided over by Lt. Gen. DS Hooda, Army Commander of the elite Northern Command of the Army.

Also present in the function was Sanjeev Garg, vice president and Global Head Tata Motors Limited. He advised the trainees to make full use of this opportunity provided by the Army and to use this as a spring board to get jobs and even establish their own workshops.

He highlighted that the motive of this collaboration with the army was to create quality standards in skill development industry and assist in increasing employment opportunities for the youth of Kashmir.

Operation Sadbhavana, was launched by the Indian Army almost two decades ago. The objective was to ameliorate the suffering of the people devastated by the shadow of the gun and also assist the civil administration in rebuilding of the socio-economic infrastructure that terrorism had destroyed.

"Education and vocational training have been pivotal in Operation Sadbhavna. Army Goodwill Schools are flagship projects under this initiative as are Vocational Training Centres and Youth Employment Guidance Nodes," says Jasbir Sarai a columnist and social activist with keen interest in Kashmir affairs.

The army has been consistently upgrading its initiatives under Operation Sadbhavna. Efforts in recent times have been directed towards collaborations with specialists to bring in a higher degree of professionalism and expertise in the projects.

Earlier, fifteen students of Jammu and Kashmir coached under the Super 30 programme sponsored by Operation Sadbhavna, cleared the prestigious JEE (Mains) 2016 competitive examination. This initiative launched in 2014 is based on the model of the Super 30 in Bihar that has attained global recognition. The Kashmir Super 30 is being run in partnership with the Centre for Social Responsibility and Leadership.

Tata Motors has also committed to offer employment to these youth at its authorised dealerships in the state and elsewhere in India based on their performance during the training. An MoU was also signed between the Army and Tata Motors to further cement this relationship for further engagements in the future.
https://www.ibcworldnews.com/2016/06/04/hvf-has-orders-to-produce-battle-tanks-for-the-indian-army-till-2035/
HVF has orders to produce Battle Tanks for the Indian Army till 2035
Chennai-based Heavy Vehicles Factory (HVF), which manufactures battle tanks under the Indian Ordnance Factories, is expecting a 60 per cent growth in turnover during this year and orders to produce battle tanks till 2035, said a senior official.

HVF, which is struggling with availability of quality suppliers, is working with Lucas TVS to develop the company as a second vendor who will manufacture one of the components in its battle tank, said Hari Mohan, senior general manager, HVF-Avadi, Ministry of Defence.

Delivering a special address at a Conference on Defence Manufacturing Technologies with the theme ‘Defence Indigenisation – Window of Opportunities’, organised by the Tamil Nadu Technology Development & Promotion Centre of CII, he said, “Last year our turnover was Rs 1,500 crore.
This year, we are targeting a turnover of around Rs 2,400 crore and next year it is going to be Rs 3,000 crore. Whatever the projections of the Army, we are almost booked up to 2035, and beyond that also we are confident that Army would be looking forward to build tanks with HVF.”

He said that the factory will build the Arjun Mk II tanks, and it is the Army which has to take further decision on it.

For HVF, the procurement of inputs is to the tune of Rs 500-600 crore, of which roughly Rs 350 crore is for buying components and assemblies from its industry partners alone.
The turnover of the Ordinance Factories is around Rs 16,000 crore, of which roughly Rs 6,000 crore of inputs is bought from various industries, including imports. Of this Rs 6,000 crore, around Rs 3,500 crore consists solely of components and other consumables, Mohan said.

“We have almost 300 industry partners who are supporting us, of wihch, more than 100 are located in Tamil Nadu. Many items are yet to be indigenised, and many are supplied by only one vendor. In several cases, the vendors that we have developed, have severe capacity limitations,” he added.

Mohan said that HVF sources a particular turret-ring collector box that is used in battle tanks, from Bengaluru and is currently developing Lucas TVS as a vendor of this component in Chennai. Lucas TVS is already working with HVF for another component, he added.

HVF has reached over 90 per cent indigenisation for the T-72 tank during regular production, and over 70 per cent in the T-90 tank.

“Our main problem is that we have very few vendors. Many items are made by a single vendor who has capacity constraints. So we are looking for more vendors,” he told reporters later.

All the components are technology-intensive and for battle tanks, vehicle mobility, fire power and armoured protection are important and difficult to achieve. All the subsystems going inside the system are highly optmised and it requires a great deal of technical competence to understand the specifications, fulfilling the production process and meeting all performance parameters.

Experts at the conference agreed that while new policies are throwing up huge opportunities in the area of defence procurement, issues such as indigenisation, the role of private manufacturers and smaller players, lack of skilled manpower and funding for long-gestation projects persist. .

The overall import content in defence procurement is around 60-65 per cent, with the rest is indigenised. However, the ownership of technology and design is an important aspect, said Sanjay Garg, joint secretary-DIP, Department of Defence Production, Ministry of Defence in his inaugural speech. He said that the ministry has listed around 25 projects, including a few smaller ones, on which start-ups or SMEs can work. These are available on the ministry’s website. Almost 90-95 per cent of the claims in terms of offset obligation has been received and the government has taken steps for simplification of offset norms.

Indigenisation should not be limited to manufacturing, but shoudl also embrace design and technology, said Bala Bharadvaj, managing director, Boeing Research & Technology-India, He said his company is working to promote localisation, and has a tie-up with the Tata Group to produce floor beams used in 787 Dreamliner planes.

While many of the impediments have been done away with, the certification process for the components and assemblies is a process where the government has to come out supporting the private sector, said Sudhir Kumar, chief executive officer off Taneja Aerospace & Aviation Ltd. Jayakar Krishnamurthy,chairman and managing director of UCAL Fuel Systems Ltd said that MSMEs in the sector would account for about $50 billion of defence industry revenues in next 15 years, which is an estimate based on the MSME performance in the automobile industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Mail your comments, suggestions and ideas to me

Template created by Rohit Agarwal